Splitting Cylinder

5270.2 In reply to 5270.1 
Hi Sun, you will need to form each of those cutters to be a surface and then you will be able to use the surfaces as cutting objects in boolean difference to slice your cylinder up.

Since your shape is not planar you will need to use either the Sweep or Network surface construction methods to build the surfaces. To do that select the twisted rectangles and then use Edit > Separate to break them apart into 4 separate individual curves. Now build one surface at a time using either Network (where you can select 4 boundary curves at once) or sweep (start by selecting the top and bottom pieces for the sweep profile and then the other 2 longer ones for the rails). Once you have created 2 surfaces like that those surfaces will divide the solid and use Boolean difference on the solid with those surfaces as the cutting objects.

I've attached an example file where I've done this process using Network to build some cutting surfaces - if you load the attached file you will see that there are 3 objects in it, the cylinder and 2 cutting surfaces which were constructed from your curves (after using Edit > Separate to break them into 4 pieces each).

Select the cylidner, then run Construct > Boolean > Difference, and pick the 2 cutting surfaces (using area selection where you click initially in empty space and drag a window is easiest for selecting things submerged within others) as the cutting objects, and then the cylinder will be divided into sections, go in there and select the little piece between the cutting objects and delete it:

Also sometimes with things like this it is easiest to pick the big pieces first and then invert the selection to then get the little things selected and then you delete. You can invert the selection by Select > Invert on the side pane or it's also useful to set up a keyboard shortcut, to do that go to Options > Shortcut keys, and push the Add button, for the Key put in I and for the command part paste in the following: script: /* Invert selection */ moi.geometryDatabase.invertSelection();

Then anytime you push I the selection will invert.

Hope this helps!

- Michael