new beta soon?

5252.83 In reply to 5252.79 
Hi Mike,

> I have a Pentium 4 (2 core), 1 g. ram
> NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE

Not really too surprising there isn't much gain there, because the GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE is basically an antique at this point - it comes from the 4th generation nVidia wave, they are on the 15th generation right now...

Especially if it's in an AGP 1x or 2x slot probably the card is the bottleneck. Multi-core CPU use can only help things out if the video card and bus is speedy enough that the card can handle more stuff than what one CPU can chug out. If the card is not able to keep much ahead of just 1 CPU then having more than 1 CPU also going won't really do much.

However recent trends have been that video cards have become faster at a greater pace than CPUs - for various reasons CPUs are basically stuck at around their current speed and the focus is more on having several cores available, so this new system in MoI is pretty good for the direction that things are going.

Your GeForce4 card though is nearly 10 years old at this point, as far as GPUs go that's like an eternity, it's basically a nice feature that MoI is able to run at all on these kinds of old generation cards (MoI actually does run on the 1st generation GeForce and Radeons!), but you're probably not going to get much benefit for things that are tuned more for current generation stuff.

I would have expected a better result on your work machine though definitely... From what you were describing it kind of sounds like the multi-core use of the driver is still on despite changing that setting, I don't know if possibly that is a driver problem that has been fixed in a newer driver version, but that could be possible.

- Michael