new beta soon?

5252.54 In reply to 5252.51 
Hi Mike,

> So, why am I not seeing any noticeable increase when the processor use chart begs to differ?
> Could it be that Moi is now just eating more CPU for kicks? ;-)

Well at least it's not particularly slower than before, that was actually a serious concern I had originally!

It could be possible that things are limited by some other factor, maybe bus speed? Do you know if your video card is for sure plugged into a PCI express x16 slot and not one that's running at some lower rate like x4 or lower? If that was the case then bus transfer speed might be the main bottleneck and having multiple CPUs going at the same time over the same bus would not do any good.

The other thing is that it's possible with the hyper-threading mechanism that it would be better for MoI to use only 4 threads on your particular machine instead of 8. I put in a setting in moi.ini that you can use to adjust the max number of threads that will be used, it's under [View]:

[View]
DisplayThreadLimit=4

Could you maybe try with the limit set to 3, 4, and 6 on different runs and see if that makes any difference?

It might be that I need to see if the machine is using the shared-resource "hyperthreading" mechanism and only use half as many threads when that's the case. There is some contention between the different threads and so having too many going where each one is not quite pulling as much individual weight as it could might not be good.

- Michael