The Boiler Watch by "Majik" Mike Maynard

5179.3 In reply to 5179.1 
Wow!, that jewelry looks dangerous. =-o But somehow irresistible...

Thanks Ed and Rich!

Ed, after you mentioned the true fact that many modelers eventually get the itch to make a watch, I was reminded that I had one in my to-do list.

And you did mention that if I made it, it would just have to have a retro look from the '30s... ;-) That statement was like waving catnip in front of a cat.

Gallery submission: http://moi3d.com/gallery/viewitem.php?id=498

It looks either like some kind of boiler or evil robot pig. I came up with the name at the last minute.
This was also a good time to come up with an interesting "brand" for my K4ICY FCC radio callsign. I've used more whimsical logo elements before, but I needed something that was more edgy.
When I took a closer look at many of those modern men's watches, one detail I noticed was the use of embossed type and logos.
And "DPX" in my ad stands for "Dieselpunk eXtreme". cool.
Of course, all those over-the-top descriptions are fantasy.

It took me two weeks with what time I had left during the day. And I had a vague idea in my head about what it would look like, but for the most part it was free-associated.
Then I started adding it's own unique features that would make this type of watch worthy enough to be sold on a site like Watchismo, if it really did exist.
The final renders were done with Kerkythea Boost in Metropolis Light Transform. mode. I like it because it really does a nice job with caustics and shadows. And the more you cook it the cleaner it looks.
However, being the graphic designer I am, I just had to throw a few grungy textures over it, and gave it liberal use of what my boss calls "the bendy tool". (curves adjustment in PS)
I kinda defeated the point of waiting for clean renders... but ya know.

Yes, there are no needles, it uses rings that pass numbers by arrows. There is also very little crystal/glass room to read the time through. In fact, in real life, you might not actually be able to read this watch.
But it would be darn near bullet proof.

I got to utilize a few of the procedural implementations that I show tutorials for: Manual Fillets using Sweeps and Blends - And yes, every edge has a fillet, even the small type.... oooohhh, edge gleams show up everywhere. It took soooo long to make "fake fillets" where standard ones would not take, but it was well worth it.
I have a few "transitional surfaces" (or fan outs) too. But the biggest help was the Flow tool - used a few of them in major places. I'm sooo glad that was Michael first major addition.

All-in-all, I think it came out as well as I wanted it to. I would say, that this is my first completed intensive model for art purposes. Not one intended for work or for tutorials.
It was nice to treat MoI more like a fun tool of leisure. Being able to use MoI that way wasa true testament to Michael's vision.

Check out a few extra views:

Check out this "all-glass" view. Just for fun.

In a few week after ham radio Field Day passes I've got some new tuts in mind, and I'd like to think about designing some kind of vehicle. (???)