New overview / intro to MoI PDF by Fabien Franzen

5152.18 In reply to 5152.17 
Hi Steve,

> I have found a few times that MoI will report a object has solid but
> meshlabs will report a hole, most often along a edge where the solid
> was cut.

That could be a bug - if you run into that situation again can you please send the model to me so I could test with it?

There are some situations though where you can possibly have mangled geometry like self-intersecting surfaces (surfaces that fold back over top of themselves) and things similar to that which can still read as an object type of "solid" but not be suitable for 3D printing with that kind of geometry.

I think you posted one a while back where it was a trimming boundary that had gotten mangled somehow? The tricky thing with that is that the bug is in the thing that actually produced the mangled geometry, not in the STL export itself. The STL exporter needs to have well formed geometry (no self intersections, no curly-cues or doubling back on trim boundaries, etc...) in order to produce a proper STL result.

> I also find exporting to STL and testing for holes helps when trying to figure
> out why a bunch of surfaces will not join into a solid.

The "Select naked edges" script which you can assign to a shortcut key can be useful for finding that out while staying inside of MoI.

Set up a new shortcut key (I use the N key myself for this), and for the command part of the shortcut key paste in the script shown here: http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#SelectNaked

Then when you push N any edges that are not joined to other edges will become selected so you can then see where you've got holes.

- Michael

EDITED: 28 May 2012 by MICHAEL GIBSON