UnwrapCurve plug-in

5136.56 In reply to 5136.48 
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> However, I noticed if the lines that are used to create the trapezoid surface using loft command
> have more points (let's say 10) The results would be different.

That could happen if the 10 points were not spaced evenly across the distance. That would then create some compression or expansion in the result since the surface parameterization would not be uniform across the base plane.

For base planes it's best to generate simple bilinear surfaces made up of only 4 corner points instead of made up of more points. That kind of surface has the most simple and predictable kind of parameterization to it.

> Edit: Also is it possible to unwrap cylindrical or curved surfaces directly?

No, not currently. There is usually not a single defined unwrapping without distortion for a general curved surface.

> I had tried the same technique to create textured cylindrical shape, However the bumps end up inside
> of the cylindrical surface & not outside of it!

Like Phiro wrote above use the "Flip surface normal" option in the Flow command to deal with this.

re:
> Is it possible to have an "Offset" option in Flow UI?
>
> So we can set an offset from the target surface? Is ti possible? I think it might come in handy!

You can accomplish this currently by positioning your object above or below the base surface by your offset distance.

> Honestly I thought the script/s are here in this thread but I couldn't find them! (I was looking for a Zip file)
>
> Where could I find the mentioned home made Script/s?

I think it's on this thread here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6175.1

- Michael