Model Area Size - How to set the model area to 97" by 49" with no zero areas

5126.8 In reply to 5126.7 
Hi Michael,

Almost.

I did have the grid turned on. I could create a rectangle that was 97 by 49 but the grid only extended 12 by 12 inches on the positive side of X and Y which was 1/4 of the grid that was shown. I had the grid sections set to 100. When I realised what the grid section parameter did I set it to 800 which gives me X=100" by Y=100" using a grid size of 1/8" (0.125").

This also displays the same grid from X=-100" by Y=100" to X=100" by Y=-100". For my purposes this seems to be occupying 75% more resources than are required on the X Y plane. Then when you factor in the Z= values the figures become staggering in coordinate points supported. The Z values extend up or down by 100" in 1/8" increments. WOW! That's a lot of coordinate points that aren't used.

As far as usability of the grid goes I am happy with this situation, it just doesn't seem economical.

Again I must thank the forum participants for helping me to get a little further along the learning curve.

3d design certainly is foreign to someone like me who has worked on 2D design for twenty years, then passing these files to cam software to feed data to my large format cnc router! With 3D design software I can put the pieces together before cutting them. I then discover that something was wrong and repair it - I thinks it's great. I have been trying for years to learn cadd, ny latest blow out was Alibre Standard which they now call personal. I just can't get my mind around it.

Moi3D has certainly put me on the right path. Consequently Moi3D has saved me some serious machine time and material costs.

Gary