3DConnexion Mice and OSX

5103.7 In reply to 5103.6 
Hi Gav,

> The drivers control panel don't seem to recognise MoI
> as running so I have to tweak the "Any Application"
> profile. Not a problem as such more a point to note.

Yeah I noticed that there was something a bit strange in the driver with that.

I'm not sure if the driver is hard coded to only recognize a certain list of apps or something like that, or it also may be possible that the driver gets confused from the way the OSX version of MoI happens to be implemented and it may either think that it's not running since the main internal executable that initially launches then passes control to a different program and then exits, or it may also be possible that it thinks that the MoI is named "WineskinX11" instead of MoI. There's not much that I can do about those things I don't think since it's not easy for me to completely re-arrange these internals just to suit how that particular driver happens to expect to see apps structured.

But MoI also has a lot of settings of its own for controlling the 3Dconnexion behavior, there is a section under Options > View > Rotate/Pan/Zoom options > 3Dconnexion options along the right-hand side.

> It's difficult to describe, but input seems delayed and
> then there's excessive movement after I've stopped,
> almost like there's buffering of input values and the
> extra movement is simply me not appreciating the initial delay.

Hmmm, I don't see anything like that over here.

Is the Mac you're running it on an older/slower type machine? What video card does it have in it?

> The same setup on Windows is as slick as ever.

Do you mean the exact same computer running Windows instead like with Bootcamp? Or is your Windows machine a totally separate machine?

My guess is that things are not getting processed quite quickly enough to avoid events from getting stacked up.

Right now it tries to respond to every single message that is sent, and I can probably tune it up so that it doesn't do that and kind of skips over ones if they are coming in faster than they are able to be processed smoothly. It should not be difficult to at least give that a try anyway.

- Michael