Testing v3 for vehicle modelling

5101.71 In reply to 5101.68 
Hi Martin,

> Sorry Michael, I should have provided instructions to get to the
> shape - But here's the spoke ...

Ok, but I don't entirely understand where you're trying to put fillets in that model right there - in this new file that you've attached the spoke is a separate object and the wheel is in some separate pieces from it, which are not solids.

So it's definitely not ready to fillet as it currently is, being in all separate pieces like this.

I can see several problems with the geometry that you have so far here though, which will make things really difficult to fillet - one right off the bat is that there is only a very teeny-tiny amount of space available in this area here:

The way filleting works is that a fillet can only fit in the available room immediatley surrounding the edges that you are trying to fillet - it won't be able to cross over some nearby edge that is not actually part of the fillet chain where a fillet is trying to run along. So that means for example in your case here there would only be room to fit a super tiny sized fillet radius along that area before it collided with the nearby edge above it that you see highlighted in the second image.

If you want to get fillets on something like this you need to have a construction configuration that allows enough room for fillets to fit between pieces, so basically you can't have edges from different pieces coming so extremely close to one another where the pieces intersect with each other.

There just is not much chance that stuff like that with narrowly grazing pieces is going to be filletable in MoI at least.

- Michael