How do I start a 3D business?

I started my business almost four years ago. Its hard work, don't ever let anyone tell different. When you're employed you go to work, do your job, go home. When you're self-employed you do everything. And a lot of it has nothing to do with what you actually want to do i.e. design. Book-keeping and taxes, administration, advertising, deliveries, meeting clients, buying and setting up new equipment, the list goes on and on. You want more headaches? Go get your ISO9001 certification, BEE certification, auditors, etc. Then look at the costs. CAD software is not cheap, neither is the equipment. Websites, business cards, brochures, printing. And I'm on the phone a lot. This is kind of scratching the surface but I think you get the idea. I'm not trying to put you off either, just being realistic. I thought working for myself would give me more free time to do what I want when I want. Boy did I get the wrong end of the stick... I am busier now - and work longer hours - than ever before. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. The most rewarding experience of my life.

Where do you start? With a business plan. Write exactly what you want your business to be and where you see it in 2, 5 and 10 years time. Be specific. Write down all the steps you intend taking to get to each individual milestone. Then implement it. You might not see any fruit the first year (you probably won't) and maybe not the second either things will happen. Just stick to your plan and be prepared to make sacrifices.

Good luck :)