How to quit on a Mac

5047.8 In reply to 5047.7 
Hi Martin,

> Michael, to make MoI 100% OS X conform the red button in
> the next version should only close the window but not the app.

Unfortunately it looks like it will be somewhat difficult for me to make it behave this way, so that's somewhat unlikely to happen. It might be possible to do it but enough effort will be involved that I'm going to wait and see if it's really that big of an issue or not.

So far it's only been mentioned as odd just a couple of times so I'm not really sure it's worth the effort.

It does not seem to be all that uncommon for some apps to exit when their window is closed, I've noticed it happening in some cases even with the built in programs. For example if I launch Calculator.app that comes with OSX Lion, and then push the red button on the calculator window, the app exits there... So it's not like that's unknown behavior on OSX already, built in apps do behave like that too.

Also just in general the "leave the blank app open" thing is something that seems like one of the weirder aspects of OSX anyway, since it seems like it means that you have to do something different to open up a new window (go to the top menu) than what you did the first time when just launching the app.

Is there any actual benefit to the "leave the blank app open" behavior, other than just conformity? Is it just that you want to have something shown in the Dock when you have not pinned MoI to the dock in the first place?

- Michael