Clean export to Modo

4978.41 In reply to 4978.39 
Hi PaQ - can you post some more information about the ugly shading glitches with "triangles only" part with centroid triangulation enabled? Is it with a somewhat rough/low poly count type mesh generation?

> Is there any example where this option creates 'better shading' result, using triangles only export ?

re: Centroid style on by default - it's more about polygon structure for stuff like displacement I guess, not so much shading specifically.

For some situations it makes a much cleaner mesh structure with the centroid style triangulation, the best example is the top cap of a cylinder, if that is meshed with a centroid point added to the center like slices of pie, it makes for all regular shaped triangles. If it is triangulated using only by connecting together points on the outside of the n-gon then the triangles will kind of zig-zag across the face and will be of different sizes. But actually MoI analyzes the n-gon and if it is an exact regular polygon shape like a cylinder end cap it will use centroid style on it no matter what.

Let me see if I can find the thread that got me started with turning centroid triangulation on by default for other cases as well... I think someone mentioned that ZBrush triangulated all n-gons that way and that they liked that type of polygon structure better.... Ok here it is:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1024.1

I guess the main reason is that it tends to make kind of more squat triangles instead of longer skinnier triangles. The downside can be with lower density meshing it basically introduces a new sample point in the middle of the polygon and when that is evaluated on the actual curved surface it can make a kind of "poking out" spot...

- Michael