Precision

4960.4 In reply to 4960.3 
Hi ed,

> With grid snap I cannot draw a line with a known length with
> some angle that is not 0 or 90ยบ.

Right... but that's because if you do something like a line of length = 5 and angle = 30 degrees, the endpoint will not coincide with the grid.

I don't understand how you want to make an angled line like that be coincident with the grid, when it is not physically possible to do it - how would a "precision" value make the endpoint of a length = 5 and angle = 30 fall on a grid point when that's simply not where the endpoint of that given angle and length properties actually goes?

> Also, sometimes you want to start drawing at some point
> that do not match the grid, what do you do then?

You can relocate the construction plane at your desired starting point, that also relocates the grid that grid snap will be snapping to.

Again I don't understand how a single "precision" value would be able to handle starting at some arbitrary point either. Right now I cannot see how what you are asking for is any different than grid snap and how it would not have the exact same limitations as grid snap.

> what if you can have an option that makes anything
> you draw to have a limited precision, like 0.01 for example.

But again - that's exactly what grid snap does - if you turn on grid snap and set a snap size of 0.01 then every point that you click will be in increments of 0.01 and you won't get values like 0.01224 or stuff like that.

If you only want every point that you place to be at some increment of 0.01 then set the snap size to that, and turn on grid snap and then it does that....

I'm sorry but I guess I need to have a much more substantial description of what you're talking about, I don't get how grid snap does not already do what you are asking about, other than things that are just not physically possible.

- Michael