problem with blend (it could be user error)

4926.21 In reply to 4926.20 
hi michael,

they were so small i didn't get a screen shot of it. what is happening is the multi-profile sweep isn't giving me quite a smooth enough transition. It gets it exactly right but its rather linear in some places rather than a smooth curve. So I have been getting curves for a network patch by intersecting the results of the sweep with two planes. Then I use those curves and the network command. It looks much smoother but along a few lines it creates all these small surfaces. Too small to really show you. I think it is because of taking the kind of jagged sweep results and getting curves. It's hard for me to say when or why its happening exactly. What I am going to try next is rebuild the curves I need with a low amount of points and then run a spline through them. So make completely new curves. I think it will work. Everything is a band-aid though. It would really be great if the blend worked. I have to go through a lot more steps to basically do multiple network commands because the blend and sweep aren't quite working out.

A long time ago you were saying something about maybe making a tolerance that was adaptive or something. To get around the problem I have with the small trailing edge. I don't understand the issue even though you explained it to me a few times. But do you think there is something that could be created to allow for smaller features to be captured. Also this might play into the sweep issue I'm getting now. When I do the multi-profile sweep its almost perfect but it seems like I have a place where the rate of change is a little outside its comfort zone. So rather than a nice smooth curve I am getting like a piece wise linear deal. I'm envisioning perhaps sliders in dialogues where tolerancing is computed internally. maybe if it was exposed and the user can adjust it, that could possible fix many of the things i'm running into.

overall I think I can get this to work. but i'm just having to use a lot of trial and error and work around various problems that pop up. this has been good though making me get to know moi more. i really like it, even though its kicking my a** for three days now. i know a lot more about it than i did before.