consistency

4894.19 In reply to 4894.16 
> I need to export out a generic solid file.

You're going to need a non-mangled object in order to do this.

I've gone over this a whole lot of times already, but the root of your problem here is that the deform tool has made a messed up object out of those sphere pieces.

If you try to transfer the resulting messed up object into other programs, yes you are going to run into problems with it. You will have to remove those 4 deformed sphere pieces and construct them with some other technique in order to make a proper model which can then be exported to other programs.

Above I attached the result of doing that, and the resulting STEP file imports into both Alibre and ViaCAD as a solid.

> So if you export out a STP (from Moi) file the result is the screen
> grab that I posted. If you export out a STL file you will not get a
> water tight object and needs to be hand repaired.

Yes, again as I've written a bunch of times already this has to do with the mangled sphere pieces.

You are not going to be able to generate a properly formed STL file from the deformed sphere pieces, the surface or trim edges are messed up enough right in the pole spot and that will cause some kind of overlapping or otherwise messed up triangulation right in those spots.

Try exporting an STL from the above file where I've removed those sphere pieces instead.

> So yes the rhino screen grab that I posted is correct (I didn't fake it).

Yes, I do also see that there is some problem in Rhino's STP importer with handling the text. That problem seems to be something particular to Rhino's importer, I tried both ViaCAD and Alibre with the above file that has the sphere pieces removed and got solids into those programs.

> If you export out the un deformed object in any format every
> single package can read it as a water tight solid.
> If you export out the deformed object in generic formats other
> packages come back with an error.
>
> It's that simple.

Yes, as I've explained numerous times the deformed spheres are messed up and you are not going to be able to get a proper transfer with that messed up model - you will need to remove those particular pieces of the model and construct them some other way in order to get good geometry that can then be exported properly.

In the file above where I have done that, the resulting STP file can be imported into other programs (other than Rhino) without errors.

> There is something happening with your exporters and your
> deformer. There is no other possible answer.

Yes there is definitely a bug in the deformer with processing surfaces that have a pole in them. We've discussed that numerous times here and even in a previous discussion thread.

I don't see where the bug is in the exporter for this case though, as long as you don't try to export the mangled sphere pieces it looks like the export to other programs aside from Rhino is correct.

- Michael