Generative design

4805.5 In reply to 4805.3 
Hi andras, I'm not really that familiar with them, but I would not be surprised if those different systems may have strengths in different particular areas, so it's probably something like one kind of project with some particular qualities may be better suited for one and a different kind of project with different specific demands may be better in another.

It seems like Paracloud has more emphasis on numeric control and connecting to Excel.

Grasshopper is more graphical and probably easier to get into.

But if you just want to build a crazy form, you don't necessarily need to do it with one of these tools at all, you can just use surface modeling to construct it.

I think you need those tools more for when you're going to undertake a very involved construction of the crazy form and you know that there is going to be a whole lot of changes and back and forth involved over an extended period of time.

Using those tools to build forms I think actually takes a significant amount more time than just modeling it with say sweeps and networks and stuff like that, and it's not even guaranteed that you can just make a change and have your model update automatically in a sensible way, you really have to do a lot of planning for how it's going to update. So unless you are actually going to need to do quite a lot of updates you can actually end up losing time instead of gaining time.

- Michael