Anyone wish to develop a custom script?

4801.3 In reply to 4801.2 
Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply. The source code is there. However, after a little thought, I realized it would be best to make a new version. The orignal code is around 3000 lines. The new code, with just the geo is about 300. I just got done testing it and everything looks ok. I made a quick model in MoI and seems fine. I can't save the model as I'm using the no save version.

I am going to attempt to attach a zip file to this message, it contains the new version of PROP_DESIGN, which just makes the rail files for MoI. I am not a programmer so I will leave it to you guys on how to best do this. If you want to just call the Fortran up it runs in a heartbeat. If it is better to make something entirely different, that's ok with me. The end result is all that is important to anyone using this functionality in the future. The reason I am posting the code is that I do not have the equations documented anywhere. So the only way to know what is going on is to read the code, sorry about that.

In any event, when actually making the model in MoI there are a few things I have found. The NACA points are a little off for some reason. I have the points entered verbatim from the NACA document. But when you make the splines in Rhino you have to use them as control points, rather than exact, since there is some error up by the leading edge (the larger radius at the top). Also, I have some points in there to help make the leading and trailing edge arcs. Burrman and Michael have commented on how best to make these arcs for MoI. I don't recall their exact recommendation, but I think they said you needed one arc for the le and one for the te. I had them broken in pieces. I found you have to really inspect the model for smoothness to make sure it is generated correctly. I'm not sure the exact options and methods that are best to get the blades to come out right. What I just tested looked ok, but there may have been some distortion. I'm on a laptop with Intel graphics, so I don't know if it is just the graphics or if the surfaces weren't quite right. This all goes back to figuring out the exact best way to generate the blade. I make an airfoil then I sweep it along the le and te rails. I have an extra rail in there for the 1/4 chord point. This is for reference. Lastly, the hub cutout is not represented in the rails. I do that manually afterwards. The rails go from 0,0,0 to the tip. In the input file there is an input that determines the hub cutout. In the example shown it is 3. There are thirteen points, so this makes the hub cutout 3/13 * radius. For this example that would be approx .603 meters. But a little extra math in the script would be needed from what is shown in the Fortran code, in order to automatically do the hub cutout.

I can answer questions as they arise. Thank you for your interest/help/time.

Anthony

P.S. The code I am attaching is not on my website, I won't be placing it there as it would just be confusing. It is solely for this effort here.

Edit; See the updated code in post below.