Anyone wish to develop a custom script?

4801.172 In reply to 4801.171 
Hi Karsten,

Thanks for looking into the node editor. That was something I was wondering about. If that can work too, that would be great. Sorry you are having trouble with PROP_DESIGN, if you have questions, you can message me here. The video after the CAD video also talks about how the projections work. I forgot to mention a few things during the CAD video. The XYZ video should hopefully explain how to use PROP_DESIGN. One thing I didn't touch on in the videos is how the updates affected the geometry creation. It used to be the radius always started at the origin. Now, chord distribution options 3-5 have radius values with a Z component. So the Z of the span applies to the radius as well. Chord distribution options 1 and 2 still have radius values from the origin. So those would be easier to work with.

I doubt grasshopper would be of any use, since rhino itself often can't function properly. There are so many problems with rhino that I have given up on it. I never did look into grasshopper though. I have been waiting for MoI v4 to make the switch to MoI. So I haven't yet got it on my machine. If I get impatient, I might just go ahead and switch early. But I am trying to save myself more work. I think I'll have to keep Rhino v5 around though. As, all my files were made in it. Some of them have dimensions. So I know that is something that will probably be an issue.

I'm thinking of doing an updated hovercar in MoI, as my first project with it. I wanted to change some things to give it better steering and braking, from the concept shown on my website.

As far as the automation of propellers/fans/etc... I was thinking, really just getting the base profile created and then copied and oriented for a loft or 2 rail sweep with multiple sections would be enough. The rest is fairly quick and easy. All the time is spent making and orienting the cross sections. So that would reduce the amount of work needed with the node editor or scripting. But if the entire process could be automated, that would save the most time. I've been making them manually for about 10 years. So it's not going to help me much, now that I'm done with the project. But I'm hoping this could save other people time. Certainly, automation is needed in a production environment. It's something that might help drive more sales of MoI too.
Sincerely, Anthony Falzone. Developer of PROP_DESIGN. Public domain aircraft propeller/fan/turbofan design and analysis software.