SubD Ex;port

478.13 In reply to 478.11 
Thanks for the info :)
That kind of explains why I couldn't find a way to edit any of the control points I thought I'd be able to find along the edges after a boolean in any of the NURBS packages I used ;)

Lightwave also seams to be doing something similar. In lightwave, sub-d is also called metaNURBS,
and it's exactly the same as in Maya, where the poly cage is used to make a sub-D-like NURBS surface.

It shouldn't be so hard to use this in other applications as well...

Isn't it "just" making a NURBS cage with a control point at the location of each vertex in the control mesh?

Seams like sub-d curve algorithms are nearly identical to NURBS' b-spline interpolation algorithm, eh? ;)

One thing I came to think of though. When you use a sub-D model in a NURBS fashion like trimming,
the sub-d surface would act entirely as a NURBS surface (of course) forcing you to rearrange your workflow.

If you want to make a hole for foglights on a car for example, on a sub-D car model, you shape out the hole, and after the hole is made you continue working on the model as a whole, with hole and everything.

If you were to do the same with the convert-to-NURBS-and-trim-technique, you'd have to be able to do the joined-into-one-object-thing, which you just told me was impossible, right?

Therefore, using the car example again, you couldn't use it to cut out the wheel holes or windows or doors or headlights, or in any other way make the general shaping, because these holes would have no effect on the base mesh that describes the general shaping of the car... Am I right? :P

The reason I ask is because I read the entire thread on the forum F.ip2 (CEKUHNEN) linked to, and that had me confused...
(http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86077&page=2&highlight=maya+trim)