Modeling Basics

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Here is what I worked on over the weekend, a Chinese Type 67 Suppressed Pistol based on Google image references. I wasn't trying too hard to be accurate, just a learning project. Eventually I ran into filleting problems right as I was about to start detailing the handle grips. I came to the conclusion that some areas would have to be completely remodeled in order to fillet them, so I'm probably going to put this project off for a few days until I decide to rebuild those areas. I'm anxious to get started on an environment piece.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For this model I put off filleting during most of the modeling process to keep the framerate up in my viewport. However, I think a nice workflow would be to create fillets then be able to toggle them on or off, as well as keep them adjustable. I saw this kind of workflow in PowerNURBS videos, where edges can be put into fillet groups and toggled or adjusted at anytime. This way I could easily set up my objects with fillets as I model and test them out and troubleshoot any problems then turn them off to keep my viewport speed up. Of course I realize some sort of scene management would probably be needed to be implemented, which I think is a version 2 thing.