Modeling Basics

I am running into problems that I'm sure are just due to my being a novice at this type of modeling. Any help understanding the concepts would be very much appreciated, thanks.

1) I am modeling a knife blade, just getting a feel for the workflow of building multiple surfaces to create a complex smooth and curvy surface. In the image below I have built a blade using multiple surfaces. The blade's sides have been joined together and now I want to join the top to it and create some small fillets. Am I going about the wrong? The Top will not join with the sides, and even if it did I suspect I would have problems with the fillets because of the triangle shaped surface at the tip.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2) When viewing my blade I noticed that the surfaces do not match up nicely to the curves I used to create them. The surfaces were generated using sweeps. I used as few points as possible for the rails and the same number of points for each rail. I was under the impression that fewer points would create a smoother surface. Do I actually need to add more points to create a smoother edge here?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting