Import from Illustrator

4634.24 In reply to 4634.18 
Hi Bard,

> Why we have a CUBE and a SPHERE?

It's because those are used so frequently by a large number of people.

The number of people using a torus frequently and repeatedly for their modeling is extremely low.

Sure, you may want to use one every now and then, but there is a big difference between something that you do infrequently versus something that you need to do all the time.

If you need to create only 1 torus a day, then the 5 seconds that it takes to create one by drawing a circle and doing revolve is not any kind of significant interruption to your workflow.

In fact, it's much more the opposite - having the UI clogged up with a whole lot of things that would only save you 5 seconds once a week or so is really bad overall because there is a negative effect to having a whole ton of stuff in the UI that you have to sort through every time you want to do the stuff that you need to do much more frequently than that.

> I prefer always to have all beneath the hand <...>

Unfortunately that does not scale well - adding in a ton of stuff that is rarely used is exactly what causes "bloat", making the UI ponderous and more difficult to use - it's way more difficult to have to sort through some giant UI panel containing 100 things in it than it is to deal with something streamlined to have more essential stuff in it.

In the future I want to make it easier to do stuff like have a list of plug-ins that you could browse to add in some more specialized functions - a torus command would be a good fit as a plug-in like that.

But for the time being it does literally take only 5 seconds to create one, I just timed myself to do it right now.

- Michael