New Twist command coming

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay,

>> Maybe - do you maybe have any good description available for what those In and Out parameters that you're showing there actually do?

Not really, I think it's a kind of weight system used to describe tcb curves ? I remember having this kind of -1/+1 settings in lw graph editor long time ago.

Here's an illustration, with the preset settings (and the in/out value)

>> Is that something related to some animation controls used in various other places in Modo?

Not really, but you find the same kind of control on every fallof deformation type (linear, spherical, radial).

>> It's a pretty big goal for MoI's UI overall to avoid that kind of huge control panel - that seems to have something like 21 controls in it?

Not really, the main settings are about the fallof position, start, end, direction ... basically you have replace this in MoI by requiring the user to draw his twist axe, while modo create it on the fly when you fire the command.

>> Sometimes then at the end of some commands there may be an "Adjust options" stage, but it can be kind of awkward to add in a separate options tweaking stage all the time for every single command, especially if the options are kind of hard to understand... That seems to me to be where having some ease-in/ease-out adjustment tools would kind of fall.

Yup it's off course up to you to decide, I'm probably a bit used to have this fallof control , so when I saw the new twist command I was immediatly thinking about it. I will easily see it has a little drop menu with some presets, like the 'Ends' option you have in the sweep command.

Now as a more general discussion, I'm wondering if the way modo manage deformation will somehow fit MoI philosophy. As I told you Modo combine micro fonctions to create commands. For example the twist is 'just' a rotation with a linear fallof along an axe. Maybe for future version of MoI, splitting functions in small steps like that can help to avoid having thousand of commands ... well ... just thinking loud :)

Cheers.

EDITED: 3 Dec 2015 by PAQ