rapid prototyping

4596.10 In reply to 4596.8 
Hi andras,

you mentioned different devices you would use to prototype models created by MoI.
Generally, depending if these devices uses an SRP or ARP approach (if they subtract or add material), the model could be handled as an analytic geometry (in case of SRP prototyping), or as a mesh (ARP prototyping).
I says "could be.." because in fact, most of the CAM used for subtraction prototyping (milling, turning, cutting etc.), even if they are capable to import NURBS based 3D geometries (.3DM, .Iges, .stp ...), they convert the imported model into a mesh just after importing it. This creates a chordal error (tolerance) that normally can be defined using the preferences of the application.
The only program I know that really calculates a toolpath based on NURBS geometry without triangolation is SprutCAM, but maybe there are other apps capable to do it.
In case of ARP systems, I do not thin that actually there is an alternative to mesh-based format. But increasing the number of polygons you can acheive good results. Do not worry about the big size of the files: normally they can be handled without problems even if very big.

- Pietro