Sub-div companion 2 Moi?

4576.34 In reply to 4576.33 
Hi Felix,

> The only unfortunate conclusion I can make at this time, is
> that ounce I get out of Moi I can't come back with my sculpted
> objects to "glue" all this work together in Moi but maybe in
> another life...

Yup, that will probably be the case - basically those sculpting programs do not work with the same kind of object data that MoI uses itself which are called NURBS surfaces. Instead those sculpting programs work with polygon mesh data where objects are made up of a lot of little polygon facets.

You can export from MoI into a polygon mesh format, at which point MoI will dice up its NURBS surfaces into little facet pieces. But it's not easy to start with diced up little facets and go back to a larger NURBS surface except in special cases...

So yes once you have exported from MoI into a sculpting program your object will be made up of a different kind of data than MoI uses for modeling with and you'll need to be working with a polygon mesh program to deal with that data instead of MoI at that point.

There are actually a lot of various different ways that 3D objects can be structured - every 3D program is not necessarily based off of the same technology and that means that you can't necessarily transfer objects both directions between different programs using different techniques, some kinds of transfer are more one way.

- Michael