Majik Tutorial: Audio Speaker

4561.14 In reply to 4561.13 
Hi Mike,

> Does anyone know why this model imported on it's side? (.obj)

What program are you importing it into?

Some programs interpret the Y axis to be the up direction and other programs interpret the Z axis to be the up direction.

You can adjust how MoI does the export with a setting under Options > Import/Export > OBJ options > Orientation.

> AND... does the .obj exporter know to "smooth" the edges of it's surface polys?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this - but the OBJ file is exported with vertex normals information which controls how the smooth shading is done in the rendering program.

> I had MoI crash at first when exporting to the .skp, but I chose
> an extremely low poly setting. It worked after sitting for a bit.

If you had a crash dump file generated (a moi_report.zip file) can you please send it in to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look at it? I have seen a couple of different crashes in the SkpWriter library before though involving points merging together. Those are difficult for me to fix up since it's a compiled library provided by SketchUp and the source code is not available for it.

Also SketchUp does not allow any polygons to exist that have edges less than 0.001 inches in size (I think that's it), it just ignores little polygons like that or may possibly try to merge their points together with neighboring ones making degenerate stuff. So SKP format is not a good format to do a very high density output to since it does not fundamentally handle little tiny polygons.

- Michael