parting sizes

4510.2 In reply to 4510.1 
Hi Burr, thanks I received the file. But I'm not entirely sure if I'm following - which particular display are you looking at when you say stuff like:

"If I perform a boolean diff of some objects, then cut it, the sides are displayed as not equal."

Are you talking about a display in MoI, or a display in your CAM package?

A couple of things to be aware of about the object properties size display in MoI - the one that is displayed at the top level of the object properties panel has a reduced number of decimal places in its display in order to make it possible to it all on one narrow line in the UI. Also on top of that the bounding size there is a quick calculation just based off of the display mesh of the object. Since that line is updated every single time you do any kind of selection it has to produce an answer quickly and can't do the full detailed analytic calculation there, otherwise your machine would be doing tons of number crunching every time you did any kind of selection.

But when you click on that line, it will pop open the edit size dropdown - that one not only has more decimal places displayed but it also goes through the higher accuracy calculation as well for the data displayed on the little dropdown menu. So pop open that menu if you want to see a higher accuracy size display.

If you're seeing some stuff in your CAM program, I seem to remember that your program had a tendency to add in its fitting tolerance value to the size of the bounds of the object, if that helps to explain anything you're seeing on that side.

- Michael