Aircraft Wing Root Fillet

4488.16 In reply to 4488.15 
Hi John,

> I am afraid that I am going to expose my ignorance here - did
> you intersect the wing and fuselage surfaces and then apply
> various fillets ?

That's actually Burr's model that he attached above here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4488.6

It looks like he cleaned up that little slivery part and got the wing and body joined together as one connected piece and then used Fillet to produce the rounding - here it looks like he used the "Shape: G2 blend" option for generating the fillet, which puts a kind of more semi-organic shaped blend surface for the generated fillet rather than one that has an exact circular cross section like a regular fillet. That option can be good when you want to have a somewhat more seamless looking connection between 2 pieces.

The fillet seems to have worked well for the leading edge area, but the small area on the trailing edge side needs some rework since the filleter tries to build a corner patch there that is kind of squished up so that part needs to be deleted and something else filled in there.

But it's pretty important to get the base surfaces cleaned up with that little slivery piece removed - having a little slivery bit like that will tend to get in the way of a lot of kinds of techniques of trying to make a good connection.

- Michael