V3 beta Aug-24-2011 available now

4438.77 In reply to 4438.75 
Hi Greg,

> Any chance there could be a thread just for features/changes
> related to V3 betas so we can tell the difference between a bug
> and pilot error when using existing tools?

I think that I'm going to make a page in the wiki to collect all the v3 beta release notes in one place.

> As flexable as scripts are for those who enjoy adding to
> the software, tinkering around in the guts of the program
> isn't for everyone (like me!) and in some ways runs counter
> to your ethos of simplicity in design/UI.

In a different sense it actually helps to maintain simplicity since in many cases if someone needs a special case function to help them out for their particular kind of work, I can add that in as a plug-in that helps them get that particular function handled but without adding complexity to the big majority of other users that don't need it.

But yes it would definitely be good to have a better overall mechanism for deploying plug-ins and installing them.

The tricky part about that is that it will involve quite a bit of work to make a more refined mechanism for that, and the payoff is not really quite as big functionally as compared to a new modeling tool like the new Flow command for example.

That's why that area has not really been a high priority for overhauling yet. I do expect to get to it at some point.

> If there could be something like a single button
> (menu choice?) to pop up a window for selecting scripts
> (and for loading/deleting them) that would make life easier
> for those of us who can't recall all the scripts or where to find them.

Yeah the main idea for it would be to have an additional "Plug-ins" button on the bottom toolbar that would pop up a menu with them all listed on it so you could launch them from there.

How many plug-ins do you have installed currently that you are having trouble keeping track of them? Do you often use all the ones that you have installed, or are you just kind of collecting them?

- Michael