Twisted Chain Link

4416.21 In reply to 4416.20 
Hi Psygorn, if you want to shape objects by moving surface control points around you would probably be better off doing that in a sub-d modeling program rather than in MoI. Sub-d modeling is specifically oriented around that type of modeling process.

re:
> If you take a look at the attached file you would see that "blend" doesn't work as smoothly as
> Andre shows and it doesn't work good for the other object.

Blend doesn't work well when you give it a sharp corner to go across.

Note that Andrei structured the objects so that the bottom edges are already touching and does not need a blend in that area, while yours has empty space in that area with sharp corners that you're trying to blend across:

Another thing that is problematic about your configuration is that you're not giving enough empty space for a blend surface to fit. Compare these areas between yours and Andrei's:

Blend needs more space than what you're giving it, with a too narrow space it's going to generate a stressed and bunched up surface.

re:
> and for the other object it is more problematic.

There is again the problem where you haven't given enough space for blend to make a connection that is both smooth to each side and also has space to be relaxed instead of bunched up on itself.

If you want to make a model that looks like it's melted and smooth throughout and can be adjusted by pulling points around then sub-d modeling is a much better fit for that.

> 1- when the smaller surface is selected and I press "Show Pts" and then "Add Pt" could I have control
> over how many control points would be added? I mean could I determine how many rows and
> columns of control points would be added?

Not very precisely - you can control whether only rows or columns will be added by setting the Direction option to either "U" or "V" instead of both.

Sub-d modeling allows you to have much finer grained control over the point structure because you can add in single points where you want instead of needing an entire row or column to be added which is how NURBS surfaces work.

> 2- Does rebuild work on control points of a generated surface? ( for example a surface generated by loft command? )

No it currently only works on curves, not surfaces.

- Michael