Octane discussion (branched) Closed

Hello,

Maybe the thread was deleted, I'm not sure. I do know for a fact that there are continued problems with normals and Octane. I did various tests on both very simple and more complex objects, loading them into Thea and Octane and Octane always had the problem, and the problem was consistent, it just was more obvious in some models than others.

I'd like to like Octane, but they really need to fix the fundamentals before worrying about little feature improvements here and there. Until they get this fixed I can't see Octane being used by anyone who cares about their work, although it does do a decent job as a quick visualization tool, although not accurate. Here are the two sets of images, Something is seriously wrong with Octane, Thea looks good, don't you think? When I presented these images for some sort of explanation to the developers I was met with silence. I also provided the OBJ files, I got all sorts of doubletalk from Octane users about what could be wrong, anything from double sided polys to not subdividing enough, but I never got an explanation that made sense or that wasn't contradictory. I'm still waiting for a response from a developer, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have to say I am much happier with Thea, the developer took the time to respond personally to one of my requests for information, which just solidified in my mind that when you deal with Solid Iris (creators of Thea), you are dealing with a standup company.
Image Attachments:
Size: 88.1 KB, Downloaded: 123 times, Dimensions: 1834x600px
Size: 166.6 KB, Downloaded: 130 times, Dimensions: 2058x768px