Make It With MoI

Hi all,

Since I have some time before I can purchase V2...
Using the No-Save trial will allow me to focus on smaller, experimental models.
I'll get a chance to learn MoI's features more keenly, develop workflows, and just plain make interesting stuff.

I invite others to comment, provide solutions and add their own neat models.

My wife uses this Swiffer broom thing and I took a look at the organic looking handle on top... The more I looked at it, the more I realized that it had some thought put into it.

I spent a little time the other day putting together this model to see if I could reproduce this shape in MoI.
I thought it would be simple, It's just a bulb shape that has a ring on it, but not only does the hanging ring "melt" into the handle grip, but it is tapered.
I noticed that everything was a generally a perfect tangent also. A perfect use for NURBS.
1) I swept a circle around a large circle to produce a torus shape. It was also tapered by moving a copy of the large ring on top and slanting it down on one side, using it as a Scaling Rail.
2) I cut out a chunk of the bottom of the ring to create a shape to merge to.
3) I created profiles for a network. I then Joined the ring and network mesh together.

However. I still don't know a better way to make a whole and seamless creation.
You can see the irregularities in the connection between the two objects.

I tried different configurations of the Blend tool, but there are overriding tangents and a strange shape transition from a more rectangle shape to a circle along the neck.

Consequently, I did a Google search today for a pic of the handle, and actually found the guy that created this thing for the Swiffer company.
He lists that he uses Alias and Solid Works for his modeling. Alias is an Autodesk app - and one of a dozen or less devoted to one small aspect of 3D modeling.
My mind just boggled over the complexity of software solutions required to do this kind of work. Many apps duplicating the same features.

Simple is sometimes better -
...Even though I have a good 20+ years of graphics experience and training. 3D design is new to me, and with just a few weeks of using MoI, a 10 meg app.
I was able to potentially re-create something made with a multi-thousand dollar specialty app.
I know MoI should be thought of as an extension to one's favorite apps, and that companies with large wallets and specialized milling machines need specialized stuff.
But, if a designer wants to see something from nothing quick, and wants to have the uninhibited freedom to create good stuff without being bogged down by a zillion buttons and sub-menus,
MoI is it!

I'm excited to see what lies in store for MoI's future.
More power to you Michael!

Thanks!

(I'll post more in this thread)

EDITED: 6 Aug 2011 by MICHAEL GIBSON