Meshing memory workflow

4385.2 In reply to 4385.1 
Hi Burr, there isn't any .ini setting for dealing with that which I can remember.

The tricky part is that once you have completely exhausted all memory once, it can make various code paths fail in ways that are hard to account for. It's pretty good at catching running out of memory while in the mesh creation itself, but you must have run out of memory again during some other auxilary calculation instead of the main mesh creation one.

Just in general out of memory is a difficult condition to handle well, it just does not get tested well since it can change the code flow in so many different areas.

If you had a crash dump created (a moi_report1.zip , or moi_report2.zip file) can you please send it to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can try to see where the crash happened? But there may not have been one created because running out of memory can also interfere with being able to create a crash dump as well.

Another thing that can happen when you completely run out of memory once is that you can be left with a situation called "memory fragmentation", where all the available memory is kind of cut up into small blocks and that can interfere with operations after that. So if you hit that "out of memory" warning once, your best bet is usually to exit MoI and start a new session.

Since handling running out of memory is so difficult (since like I mentioned, it means different code paths taken in a whole lot of different areas) it's just not generally something that I'll be able to get to the same level of reliability as I try with regular operation.

- Michael