Do you feel it?

4363.118 In reply to 4363.117 
Hi Anis - MoI does not have any method to import STL files - STL files do not contain NURBS data inside of them, they only contain a bunch of little triangle facets.

You would need to use a polygon modeling program to edit that kind of data, not MoI since MoI is instead focused on editing NURBS data.

The kind of design that you're showing there is not really well suited for NURBS modeling, particularly things like the scorpion relief design on the side - the scorpion itself would be better suited to be done in a polygon modeling program, let alone applying it to a surface.

I'd recommend trying one of the brush-based deformation programs like ZBrush or 3D Coat for doing that kind of project that you're showing there. You can do the base ring design in MoI but then bring it into ZBrush or 3D coat to apply the relief designs.

I don't expect that it will be easy to fully create that particular kind of design in MoI - it's not suited for something with that kind of "high frequency" details that have a lot of little bumps and ridges in them and are not very well defined by profile curves. On the other hand the displacement systems in ZBrush or 3D coat are well suited for that kind of project so they are much better tool for that particular kind of project. They have a kind of stenciling method that will allow you to take a bitmap image and kind of stamp it into your model making raised areas.

Different kinds of 3D modeling methods can tend to be better for certain kinds of projects - that kind of project you show there is better finished in a displacement type program and not in MoI - I don't expect for that to change in V3.

- Michael