3Ds Max Patch Modeling

4360.6 In reply to 4360.5 
I guess the overall point isn't rebuilding the patch object in this example. I'm looking for more flexible solid modeling of organic shapes in general.

Say i have a complex dome where several surfaces meet at the top in MOI and my boss decided the dome should be higher. I would have to re draw all those curve separately and make new lofts (or networks or what ever) all over again. I would much rather be able to grab the common point and drag it so it stretched all the surfaces of the dome at once. Less planning ahead, more sculpting like.

None of this should be taken as criticism of MOI. As a person new to solid modeling I'm just bouncing thoughts off this very knowledgeable community.

One question I have is, why isn't there a form of cage modeling for solids? If you do a Show Points on a sphere in MOI something very similar to a control cage appears where you get the elastic type of modeling I'm looking for. I want to be able to grab a section of this cage and extrude it, or weld two points together.

I know it's really a trimmed surface underneath, not a mesh. But there must be some way get closer to sub D techniques.