3Ds Max Patch Modeling

The reason I asked abut curve continuity in another thread is because I'm interested in the possibility of MOI having abilities like Max's patch modeler.

In Max you can take a 4 sided patch, grab any one of the sides and drag/clone it and it makes a new patch connected to the last one. All the lines (even ones that cross each other) are tied together by 4 way handles. Move one point and it affects each patch that it is a part of. Meaning you can't break your smooth surface unless you specifically want to.

Not a lot of people like patch modeling in the sub D world, probably because sub D box/ NURMS modeling is more robust. But for solid modeling I think it would make a lot of sense. You can very quickly make organic shapes without much planning ahead. The only down side is that patches have to be 4 sided. But that's not that bad.

Any thoughts on adding this type of functionality to MOI?

EDIT: If I import my patch model into MOI (convert to Max nurbs and export as SAT) I can better illustrate what I want.

If I grab a point and drag it up in Max all the surfaces remain smoothly attached. In MOI (after separation and turning on show points) I can grab the points, but they are not connected between the surfaces and it makes a crease.

I want some way for points on two surfaces that touch each other to be connected and remain smooth. Maybe this is a pipe dream as I don't understand the math underneath the software very well. But this would make modeling much more free-form and less like a puzzle.

thanks

EDITED: 28 Jun 2011 by MOISHAUN

Image Attachments:
Size: 58.1 KB, Downloaded: 42 times, Dimensions: 800x599px
Size: 58.8 KB, Downloaded: 40 times, Dimensions: 800x599px
Size: 69.6 KB, Downloaded: 74 times, Dimensions: 800x677px