Fillet blend & patch issues

Hello Michael, Burr,

Thanks as always for your suggestions and advice...

My comments...

1. The model has a lot of the pieces hidden. I guess I saved it with only the two pieces showing.

2. "In situations like that you may want to trim the surface to what you know are common curves (possibly edges) rather than trying to intersect the surfaces directly which is what the booleans will try to do."

"But try using the Trim command to cut the piece that is giving you the zig-zag result instead of using the boolean - if you have a curve you can trim your surface to rather than a grazing surface it can give you a better result."

>> I guess I'm a little confused with what I should do. I think I did what you suggested. I made a set of 3 lines that that I used to cut up both solids and then tried to UNION them together. The lines were snapped to edge of the swept surface.

I used a boolean difference to cut up the solid. Are you saying that I should use trim instead of DIFF when I slice up solid that I'm going to glue back to other pieces?

3. "A couple of things that I did notice about the one that you did post though is that you've got some planar areas that are diced up into some small plane fragments, like this here:"

>>This happened because I took the neck pocket shape and cut and extruded it to use it to "rout" out the neck pocket area. I'll clean it up if it causes issues.

4. "Then the other thing that I did notice about the model that you posted is that the ends of your fillet pieces here do not seem to have a very nice regular shape to them, there seems to be a small sudden swoop right near the end:"

>> I saw this too, but wasn't sure why I got this or how to fix it. I "borrowed" curves from the two filleted bodies and swept a curve between the two radii and along a curve I extracted from one of the bodies.

5. "For more advanced kinds of surface modeling like this kind of a project, where you're building some surfaces of your object individually, you tend to use Trim for that kind of a thing to work at the surface level as well - booleans are more focused on combining together solids and may have difficulty in situations where you're better of trimming with a curve rather than doing surface/surface intersections."

>> Is this referring to #2 where I should use the "trim" command instead of Boolean DIFF?

I'm using a lot of time trying to figure the best way to model things, but I do appreciate everyone's guidance. I think I'm saving a lot of time overall.

I was going to try another approach to the whole fillet blend situation. I was going to try and use those swept curves and "glue" them on some solids and then patch up the holes. I guess I should learn both methods since in some cases one would work better than another.

I'll study Burr's post before I comment on it.

Thanks guys.

Jeff