Free Autodesk

4247.39 In reply to 4247.37 
@Andras - There's always at least one Autodesk hater in the crowd... :-)

"There's a command prompt and 2 input boxes floating right over top of the curve that I'm right now trying to draw, making it hard for me to actually see it...

It's the kind of thing that can work ok if you're only drawing something simple like only a line or an arc at a time, but can easily get in the way in other circumstances like the above." ~M. Gibson

That's one of my dislikes about MoI. It's actually the more complex sketches where I appreciate the HUD more. I don't draw at the bottom or upper corner of the screen, I draw in the middle-ish of the screen. I want and like the info right where the mouse is so I don't have to switch focus between the mouse and info center. I find that incredibly distracting. For me the HUD rarely gets in the way of what I am doing and if it does, a zoom and/or pan moves it out of the way usually.

The pop-up stuff would be less distracting if there was no lag/delay. This is a "beta" so I am hoping for better speed eventually. MoI is definitely way faster.

As far as the Shift+middle mouse button... it's second nature to me and is one of the first things I try with a new modeling program, but I think, in the arena of 3D navigation with a mouse Alibre has absolutely nailed it. Bar-none the best system I have ever used. A 3D mouse (3D connexion) doesn't really add much functionality/speed. They just haven't fully realized the extra uses/functions their setup can open up (time sensitive click being a major one).

Sorry no text fields (besides dimensions) that I am aware of. There is something to add "tags," but I have no idea what it actually does. I tried it, but the tag disappears when the dialog is closed. Perhaps something like photo tags? (it's still there if I re-open the tags dialog)

Sorry macray no variable arc radius. The only programs I am aware of that are capable of that are the parametric modelers (Solidworks, Inventor, Alibre, etc.).

Windows 7 x64, Precision T3400, Intel C2Q @ 3 GHz
8 GB RAM, ATi Radeon HD 3870