Need a sharp edge on a house key

4205.2 In reply to 4205.1 
Hi Randy, so kind of the regular way to leave an edge sharp is to not fillet it. To do something like that you could select the edges that you wanted to leave sharp, then go push the Select > Invert button to flip the selection to all the other edges before running the Fillet command.

Was the fillet not successful when trying that? Sometimes leaving some edges unfilleted can make pieces kind of join up awkwardly.

Another way you could move forward is to just remove the fillet surfaces from that area where you don't want a rounded fillet, and instead model in some surfaces that have the shape that you do want to have there.

I've attached a version that is somewhat prepped for that, I deleted the fillets in those areas, and I drew in some line segments like this:

and trimmed the outer surface with those lines to kind of make a sharp squared off corner in those spots, is that a step towards the kind of shape you want? If so then the next steps would be to figure out what kind of a shape you want in the area that is now an empty hole and construct some surfaces to fill in that area using some tools like Loft or Sweep.

- Michael