About Selection with only browser

4194.6 In reply to 4194.1 
Hi Pilou,

> No problem as there are only 3 natures of these objects
> (Cylinder, Cone, Sphere)
> But when I have thousand of different natures?
> There is not an only selection nature Object when Color is yet selected?

In the future I want to have a "filter" mechanism that would help with this kind of thing.

That would be something like - go to the Red style and set it as an active filter (some kind of icon would show on it or something like that), then when that was set if you used other sections of the scene browser the controls would only target objects with style = red in addition to their regular categories.

But it is possible to get what you need currently by using a couple of steps with selection though.

> Say I want see only "red cubes" on the screen with the follow image

Step 1 - start by right-clicking on the eye icon for boxes in the Objects section of the scene browser.

You should now see only all cubes being displayed on the screen. Now the task is to hide all things with style = red.

Step 2 - go to Style = Red in the scene browser, and hold down the Shift key and click on its text label (the text that says "Red", that's where to click to do selections). This will select all the red objects that are currently visible. When you hold down the shift key it means that it will only select visible objects, if you don't hold down shift it will select all of them and make any hidden ones become visible (there is a setting in moi.ini to make the Shift behavior the default, I'm thinking of switching it to be default in v3 also).

Step 3 - invert the selection by Select > Invert (this is a handy thing to put on a keyboard shortcut for I, to do that set the command part of the shortcut key to script:moi.geometryDatabase.invertSelection(); )

Now everything except for the red boxes is selected.

Step 4 - use the Edit > Hide button to hide those objects and you will be left with only red boxes being shown.

In the future a filter mechanism should help to make this easier, but for now you can get what you need by those steps above - the particular trick is to make sure you hold down the Shift key when doing the selection in the scene browser, to only target currently visible objects to be selected.

If you only wanted to do some operation to all the red boxes (like scale them, rotate them, etc...), you could actually skip step 3 & 4 because they are all selected at step 2.

- Michael