Marking menu?

4158.9 In reply to 4158.7 
>...but note that the greatest speed increase shown in that video is when the menu wasn't displayed at all and just a shorthand gesture was >used.

>That requires a significant amount of memorization and repetition to get to that level...

That's the muscle memory I mentioned. Not really intentional memorization. It just happens. Especially with only an 8-slice, single tier pie.

I actually resisted this menu all during the tech preview stages for the reasons you mentioned, it seemed kind of awkward at the time, being the AutoCAD fundamentalist I am. So I continued to use the standard menu commands until recently when it was officially released. After a day or two of fiddling I am already familiar with the press/pull, undo and draw commands and I caught myself just drawing with one hand on the spacepilot and the other on the mouse, never removing either hand to type anything for several minutes. I was amazed at how fluid and natural it felt. No hunting for a command button, no typing an alias, hotkey, or shortcut. It was all at the mouse. Weird.

I was actually pretty miffed (and still am to some degree) that there are no customizable/assignable shortcut keys in Fusion, but now I kind of understand they aren't really needed (but would still be nice).

I understand what you are saying, but I would take the trade-off of initial UI confusion for ultra fast modeling (probably not how you pull in new users or the un-initiate, I suppose).

I know it would make the underlying coding more complex, but maybe make it user selectable? Pie menu or box menu. Just a thought. :-)

This is a real-life story, I'm not trying to sell the software. I was just blown away by the fluidity and experience (and I'm not even good at it yet).

Anyway... here's to the next release of MoI!

Windows 7 x64, Precision T3400, Intel C2Q @ 3 GHz
8 GB RAM, ATi Radeon HD 3870