Suggestions?

4123.29 In reply to 4123.28 
Michael,

> Does that help to explain where that edge is coming from?

Of course I do understand and I know why I expected a different behavior. I've been using Skecthup for a while and when I joined (actually weld) segments together they become a continuous curve as in MOI but this even after extrusion (push/pull in SU) or many other operation.

>But I'm not sure why you would expect this - doesn't it make sense for a curve made up of 2 segments to produce a >surface made up of 2 faces when it is extruded? It just makes a result that is the same as your curve structure...

I figure that since MOI uses the structure of the 2 segments curve I've drawn it makes perfect sense that this blue edge is where it is, that I understand. I also understand that if I want a continuous single curve even after subsequent operation, I just need to build it continuous to begin with, I've tried this and it works perfectly.

>Could you maybe describe a bit more about why you're particularly worried about that?

I intended to build a 5 axis CNC router at some point and use the CNCToolkit to generate g-code, a MAX script that works both in 3DS MAX and GMAX. This script though very useful because it's free and can produce g-code for synchronous toolpaths for 3 and various configuration of 4 or 5 axis CNC. It's not a CAM program per say and one of the notes mention to watch for breaks or segmented elements because the script interpret a break as retract operation. But this maybe irrelevant with a true CAM program such BobCad that I intend to use.

As I wrote this above I was interrupted and my wife and I took the time to discuss about all this idea of CNC and 3D modeling highly detailed objects and she convinced me to do something much less demanding for old folks like us and her major point his that we do something that we can do together more like a hobby then a business.

But I like MOI enough that I'll probably buy it anyway instead of Sketchup and use it more with the idea of having fun with it then of working with it.

I want to apologize for the time you spend with my silly questions. I want you to know I've appreciated a lot conversing with you.

Thanks,
Felix