Suggestions?

4123.25 In reply to 4123.24 
Hi Felix,

> but if you try to select edges around the fillet or the
> sweep you will see that only a single part of a edge
> can be selected at a time

I tried selecting some various edges in the model and I couldn't see anything unusual...

Maybe for this case I might need both the model and also a screenshot that shows the particular edges that you are worried about.

But it is normal to have edges that surround each surface - that's part of how NURBS surfaces work, each surface has a trimming boundary and that trimming boundary is made up of edges.

I can't really see anything out of the ordinary or that would cause any concern with the structure of your model there. But also I'm not sure exactly which pieces of the model you're referring to by the sweep and the fillet - since I didn't watch you actually construct the model I may need a bit more description yet to follow along with your question...

One thing that will generally happen is that if you have curves made up of various sub segments (where they can be separated into individual pieces using the Edit > Separate command), that will tend to generate one surface for each of those segments. That's totally normal for shapes that have a sharp corner in them, but if you want pieces that are smooth to one another to generate a single surface instead of multiple surfaces then you want to make your curve structure have single large segments in it instead of having the smooth pieces made up of multiple small segment fragments. One easy way to tweak curves to remove segmentation like that is to use the Rebuild command: http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild but really a better way than that is to just draw larger segments for smooth pieces more from the beginning rather than drawing a smooth curve portion in little bits and pieces.

> do you think it's possible to write a script to do just that?

No, that's way out of the scope of what's possible to do just with scripting.

Warping of surfaces is actually a very involved process, to do it requires a major reconstruction of all the surfaces and edges in the solid. For example if your base surface that you want to warp is a plane, that surface only has 4 control points at its corners - a surface with 4 corner points cannot be reshaped just as-is to have a cylindrical shape, it has to have a lot of additional control points added into it. So it's a quite tricky process to do this to all the surfaces of a shape and also to all of its edge curves.

Rhino added some tools for this in the Rhino v4 version, so if you need to do this kind of warping right now you'll need to use Rhino for that part of your modeling process.

It is an area that I plan on working on adding to MoI in the future though.

- Michael