Feature suggestions

412.48 In reply to 412.47 
> Are you sure MoI's users will be able to learn all those boolean stuff?

Well, there are no additional commands so there is not too much to learn - there are just more interactions available between different types of objects with the same commands.

I have probably spent a bit too much time struggling with the curve booleans with open curves though... But it is pretty cool and it's another thing that I'm not sure if anything else out there can do.

> What about analogous command to Rhino's _Boolean2Objects?

I believe this command was created in Rhino due to people getting confused about doing booleans with open surfaces and having the result be different depending on the surface normal orientation. That means that you need to be aware in advance of your normal direction and possibly flip it with the Dir command before doing the boolean - well a lot of people don't know about doing that part in advance and get surprised by results different than they intended when using open surfaces, so this was a fairly frequently asked question.

With Boolean2Objects, it will step through different surface normal orientations for open surfaces, one by one, so you don't have to worry about the normal directions in advance of doing the command.

In MoI I have solved this in a different way - when you do a boolean using a surface, MoI will just generate a couple of different objects for you and if you don't want one you can just delete it. I think this is easier to understand, and it is yet another instance of building more stuff into a single command rather than introducing an additional specialized command.

As another benefit it works well to handle multiple surfaces in one shot, as in this previous example:

In contrast, Boolean2Objects can only handle well, 2 objects at a time...

For solid/solid booleans, the regular operations are well defined - I don't really see why it is necessary to have a separate command that steps through all the different possibilities for this, just pick the proper operation at the start and you're done.

- Michael