Rendering options

One of the things I'm ultimately hoping to do is learn Moi well enough to do some of the high detailed ships/vehicles similar to the stuff that Daniel Simons has turned out (see http://www.cosmic-motors.com/main.html for example). In his book Cosmic Motors, he mentions that his workflow is a NURBS modeler, and then texturing/rendering in Maya.
So, being a naive newbie, I thought, OK, why use Moi as the modeler, then move it into the 3D package of choice for texturing/rendering. I've got Modo, I've got Houdini, and I've got Maya. I have a fair amount of experience with Modo and Houdini, but only a little with Maya, so my initial preference is for Houdini, if possible.
I know how to get things into Modo - use the LWO exporter, and Bob's your uncle. Job done.
Getting things into Maya/Houdini seems like a different challenge. Since both support the IGES, and both support a full (or close to full NURBS toolset) I figured that it made sense try using that. I tried this with my light cycle engine model. Both could import the iges file. Houdini got *really* sluggish, as did Maya, and it didn't seem like it would be very practical to work in that format. Selection was difficult because there were so many different little pieces.

So what is the preferred workflow for other packages? Is it better to stick with obj/lwo format? Or is it expected that if you want to work in NURBS that you have to go to a lot of trouble "reworking" the model after it's exported?