problem with fillet and shell

4023.15 In reply to 4023.14 
Hi Jurgen,

> I always wondered why the straight lines on the model
> are there, as the model has essentially only two continuous
> surfaces.

Those lines are the edges between the different surface pieces that make up the model. Even though your overall form has a continuous surface, your particular model construction is made up of several surfaces that are joined together at shared edges.

Usually that kind of structure is the result of the segments in your original curve structure coming through. For example if you have a curve that is made up of 2 segments joined together, when you extrude it you will then end up with 2 surfaces joined together following the same segment structure as the original curve.

> I there any way to remove those lines? This would probably reduce the repair work.

There isn't an easy way in MoI to remove them after you've already got it all constructed - it would require merging the separate surfaces together into a larger single surface. I do plan on adding in a tool to MoI in the future that will do that.

You can avoid those being created in the first place if you make your original curves be long single pieces instead of constructed of multiple joined segments. The Rebuild command can be a good way to build a new single segment curve out of a multi-segment one:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild

- Michael