Beginners tutorials?

402.16 In reply to 402.12 
> I had to play,but I am having trouble getting a planar surface on top of the model?

Hi John, if you switch to the front view and take a look you can see that the top edge isn't planar / flat - it's got a bit of a wave to it. When you were adjusting points at some point you must have pulled one up or down in z a bit, this is easy to do when you are moving them in the 3D view, you sort of need to watch what the label says on the straight snap line that comes out - if it says "z", then you are moving in elevation. If this is getting in your way, you might turn straight snap off while you are doing adjustments.

You can line them up to be planar again by turning on control points for the curve, selecting all the points and then using Transform/Align and switch to the front view and pick in there - a horizontal alignment in the front view will make them flat. Let me know if you want more details on this step.

Or as JTB showed, you can use a different technique to fill in the top even though it is not planar.

But that looks like a good first attempt, that is some progress! You can also see that your 2nd inner points did not stay perpendicular to the axis line - that is why the shape has a crease in it at the mirror line. These can be lined up with each other by also using Transform/Align - go to the top view and use a horizontal or vertical alignment on the 2 ends points.

Let me now if you need any more details about any step!

- Michael