3D Poser man inside MOI ??? A solution Michael, please.

3969.35 In reply to 3969.34 
Hi Micha,

> * mesh export for rendering in Rhino3D, Cinema4D, Modo.

Well, Cinema4D and Modo are already completely covered - use OBJ export to go from MoI into Cinema4D and LWO format to go from MoI into Modo - that's what Cinema4D and Modo users already use for mesh transfer.

> The Cinema4D user could save the NURBS to a mesh
> 3dm with all layers and open it per IO. The meshes could
> be clean and low poly and not so crapy like from Rhino.

They can already do this without that plug-in - just simply export from MoI to OBJ format and import the OBJ into Cinema4D. Layer assignments are preserved as material assignments into Cinema4D and you are also able to use n-gons and true welding unlike 3DM format.

3DM format is not a good way to store mesh data - it does not really make any sense to export meshes to 3DM format to go to Cinema4D or Modo when the OBJ or LWO formats are able to do it without having the limitations of 3DM format (again, no n-gons or proper welding in 3DM format is possible).

> The question is too - will MoI be closed for mesh import for ever?
> If not, why not go the first step in v3?

re: "why not go the first step in v3" - as I described earlier, it's because it requires some work for me to produce a 3DM mesh export, and there is not a good way right now to incorporate it into the UI in some normal way...

There are already many steps in place for mesh export since MoI v1 - I've worked hard to have very good support especially for the OBJ and LWO formats which are normally used by people who are exporting to mesh based programs already. Layers in MoI are preserved as material assignments when exporting to OBJ and LWO, and both formats also support n-gon polygons and also true welding.

- Michael