Moi + Modo workflow question

Hello all,

I have a fairly general question to all Modo wizards present here.

I'm still fairly new to general art of 3D and, while I have been playing with MoI for quite some time, my knowledge of modo is pretty much zero.

I've built my starship model in MoI. I painted, textured, etc it in modo and I'm happy with results.

Now I want to damage it. Heavily.

Obviously, small stuff, nicks and scratches, would be displacement/bump.
Obviously, all the major stuff, like interior of blown out sections, can be modelled in moi, brought in and used as any other model.

My problem lies in the medium sized stuff like impact craters that, in modo, seem to be the domain of sculpting.
Looking at it from one side, sculpting promises just what I would like, ability to add arbitrary complexity to arbitrary points on a mesh.
On the other side, it seems to require heavy mesh subdivision, which does not bode well for already dense model imported from moi.
From a MoI angle, the problem looks very hard, while I can imagine a process to create an "ideal" impact crater, it still would be far too "clean" and labour-intensive compared to the effects of few seconds' worth of work with modo's sculpt brush.

Any pointers?

P.S. Is there a way to programmatically add points along a curve in MoI? I'd like to write a script that would take a profile curve, add a bunch of points to them then apply some noise to them to make a nice looking "tear line" for slicing my model with to create debris and holes.

Thanks!