An Embossing/Engraving Tip

3922.7 In reply to 3922.6 
Hi Bob,

"One question -- it looks like you're able to follow the contour of the surface. Is
that possible with your technique?"

You're able to get reasonably good results on most contours, but it'll all depend on what you're aiming for.
Looking at your example, I can't see anything that immediately screams problems.

Where things tend to go astray is when you're wanting to run a length of text around a complete circle.
What you can't do is a "Flow" or a "Flow Along Surface" type of command, so which is why I have Rhino. (plus I use it to render with VRay)
I first work all of my setups within MoI & then Copy the items needed into Rhino to used with it's Flow or FlowAlongSurface.
That way I can be sure that any text spacing, alignments, etc; remaining correct.
I then use those curves to Trim the surface of the ring & Shell those sections, in much the same way as I've described previously.

I'm hopeful that by the end of MoI V3, we may possibly get something like these "Flow" commands, but that's purely up to Michael.

Here's a couple of renders for models that required "Flow" to get the text all laid out correctly & to suit their particular ring shapes.

HTH, Colin